Beverly Hills Premises Liability Attorneys
Negligence Held Accountable
The Beverly Hills law firm of Levitt, Leichenger & Aberle LLP represents people in Los Angeles, Southern California, and statewide who have been injured on the premises of another's negligently maintained property. Our attorneys are experienced trial lawyers who have handled a wide variety of personal injury cases caused by negligence, including those based on theories of premises liability.
Property Owners Have a Legal Responsibility
Property and homeowners have a responsibility to maintain their land to ensure the conditions are safe and free of hazards that could cause injury. Unsafe conditions are often the result of a temporarily dangerous area such as a construction site or a slippery walkway after a rainstorm.
Common situations leading to premises liability claims include:
- Wet floors
- Icy sidewalks
- Cracked or broken sidewalks
- Bumps in carpets
- Poorly-marked steps, ramps, or slopes
- Stairways without adequate handrails
- Malfunctioning elevators and escalators
- Collapsing decks
- Unmarked repair or construction sites
- Exposed wiring
A property owner, especially of a business open to the public, is required to make reasonable inspections of the property and correct any unsafe conditions that are not obvious, either by fixing the problem or by posting an adequate warning of the danger.
What Types of Injuries Can Result in a Premises Liability Claim?
A wide range of injuries can lead to a premises liability claim. These claims typically arise when individuals suffer harm due to dangerous conditions or negligence on someone else's property.
Common injuries that can result in a premises liability claim include:
- Slip and Fall Injuries: These occur when individuals slip, trip, or fall due to wet floors, uneven surfaces, or inadequate maintenance of walkways.
- Trip and Fall Injuries: Such injuries often result from obstacles or hazards, like loose rugs, debris, or poorly maintained walkways.
- Inadequate Security-Related Injuries: Victims of assaults, robberies, or other crimes due to inadequate security on the property may have a premises liability claim.
- Elevator and Escalator Injuries: Malfunctioning elevators or escalators can lead to serious injuries, making property owners potentially liable.
- Dog Bites and Animal Attacks: When a property owner's pet or animal causes harm to a visitor, a premises liability claim may be applicable.
- Swimming Pool Accidents: Inadequate pool safety measures can lead to drowning or injury, resulting in premises liability cases.
- Structural Failures: Injuries can occur when buildings or structures have design flaws or inadequate maintenance.
It's important to note that the specifics of each case and the circumstances surrounding the injury will determine the viability of a premises liability claim. Consulting with an attorney experienced in these cases can help assess whether you have a valid claim.
What Are Slip And Fall Accidents?
Slip and fall accidents are a part of premises liability law. They occur when a person slips and falls because of a wet floor, an uneven floor, unmarked stairs, and more. Because it falls under premises liability law, victims may seek compensation or damages from the property owner or landlord.
Our Beverly Hills premises liability attorneys can help assess if the property owner made efforts to keep their property safe and free of dangerous conditions.
Common Locations and Causes of Slip & Fall Incidents
Common locations of premises liability accidents are grocery stores and restaurants, where food spills can create hazardous slip & fall situations. Even if the spill was caused by a customer and not an employee, it is still the responsibility of the owner to clean up the spill in a reasonable time. A key question in these situations is the time which elapsed between the spill and the accident, and whether the problem should have been noticed and corrected by the store owner within that time.
Typically, store owners and their insurance companies will vigorously deny that the accident was their responsibility or will dispute the extent of the injuries. Eyewitness and expert witness testimony are often critical to proving these types of cases. Just as important, it is essential to be represented by an experienced slip and fall attorney who has successfully handled cases involving premises liability.
The dedicated premises liability lawyers at Levitt, Leichenger & Aberle LLP have decades of experience obtaining favorable results for clients who have suffered a variety of injuries in many different situations.